Charlotte Finance

Aug 14 2017

Bedford: Code Enforcement #bedford, #city #of #bedford, #heb, #h-e-b, #dallas, #fort #worth, #metroplex, #dfw, #airport, #library, #boys #ranch, #police, #fire, #water, #old #bedford #school


Common Code Violations

Abandoned and Junked Vehicles
Junked vehicles visible from a public place or public right-of-way are detrimental to the safety and welfare of the general public, tend to reduce the value of private property, invite vandalism and harm the economic welfare of the City.

High Grass and Weeds
High grass and weeds can become a fire hazard as well as a breeding place for mosquitoes and rodents. Consequently, grass or weeds higher than 10 inches are not in compliance with the City ordinance. Upon proper notification, property owners will have 7 days to remove the high grass and weeds. If the problem is not resolved after allowed time period for abatement has expired, legal action could be taken in Municipal Court.

Trash, Rubbish and Open Storage
Typical violations of this ordinance include accumulation of trash, wood debris, building and fencing materials, furniture, appliances, tires, car parts, tree limbs and other related materials. Residents are asked to bring their properties to compliance by removing such items within a designated time frame. If the problem is not resolved, legal action could be taken in Municipal Court.

Landscape Irrigation Guidelines
The City of Bedford is continuing its efforts to participate in water conservation. These efforts include adopting ordinances related to Landscape Irrigation. We have provided links to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to address questions and concerns.

Mission Statement

The mission of the Code Compliance Division is to insure the ordinances of the City of Bedford, as set forth by the City Council, are complied with by all citizens. These ordinances are in place to maintain health, safety and well-being of our citizens and community and to be models of professional effective and efficient service delivery. We strive to maintain the aesthetic quality of life that exists in Bedford, increase awareness of all standards and regulations, and effectively enforce City ordinances. Code Compliance Officers actively enforce City codes and ordinances by informing and educating the public of the standards set forth by their elected representatives.

Code Compliance is responsible for addressing nuisance and property standard violations to ensure a safe and healthful environment for the community. These violations include high weeds and grass, trash and debris and illegal dumping. The main goal of this enforcement is to resolve violations to reduce neighborhood deterioration and ensure property values. Code Compliance officers conduct surveys and investigate complaints concerning dangerous buildings, substandard structures, excessively high grass and weeds, accumulation of trash and debris, illegal dumping and other general nuisance-related violations. Code Compliance Officers will take photographs and gather all pertinent facts associated with possible code violations, prepare required documentation for legal actions, prepare detailed reports and correspondence related to code compliance inspections, violations and other activities.

Code compliance programs achieve not only their primary goals of improved health, safety and welfare of the community, but are utilized to enhance other programs and efforts such as historic preservation, rehabilitation and revitalization. In order to establish an efficient system of code compliance, a CEO should operate under set guidelines for the receipt of complaints, investigation and inspection procedures, and citation issuance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Bedford’s Water Restrictions?

The City lifted the Stage 1 water restrictions in May of 2015. However we do still limit watering between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 6:00p.m. each day.

The codes are available on the City of Bedford website, or you may come into the City of Bedford Offices or City Library to view City Ordinances.

What are the codes for placement of garbage and recycling bins for collection? View Information | Hide Information

To dispose of limbs and branches, please make sure that they are cut no longer than four (4) feet, tied, and bundled. The bundles must not weigh over fifty (50) pounds. You can place these bundles out with your trash. Call the local trash service if you have an extra large amount to be picked up that day. (817-332-7301)

The local trash service will also collect, at no additional charge, Kitchen items, household/bedroom furniture, appliances, water heaters, refrigerators or A/C units (proof of CFC/Freon removal must be affixed to the unit). This additional service is provided only when residents call and request service. (817-332-7301)

The following items will not be picked up: Building materials, dirt, rock, tires, oil filters, and hazardous waste items.

Do I need a permit to have a garage sale? Where can I place garage sale signs? View Information | Hide Information

Yes, a permit is required for a garage sale. Garage Sale signs can only be placed on private property within 24 hours of the sale and must be removed within 24 hours after the conclusion of the sale. The City will issue you three (3) garage sale signs to use for $10.00 with the option of purchasing 2 additional signs at $2.00 each. These are the only signs that can be used. Each residence is allowed to have a maximum of four (4) garage sales per year, up to (3) days maximum per sale.

Installation of a water heater requires a permit. Installation may be done by a homeowner or a plumber registered with the City and licensed by the State of Texas.

New accessory buildings and fences require a permit. Accessory buildings may not be located in the front or side yard.

What do I do if I have a common fence and the neighbors do not want to pay their portion to repair or replace it? View Information | Hide Information

The upkeep of common fences separating private properties are the responsibility of each property owner. However, in many cases, one of the property owners cannot or will not share in the financial or physical responsibility for the project. In cases such as this, it would become a civil matter between the respective property owners, and they would have to pursue this matter without City involvement in the dispute.

It shall be unlawful for any person who owns or occupies any residential lot with a swimming pool to discharge water from the swimming pool onto the property of another, or to drain the pool in such a way as to drain onto the property of another. Pools must be drained to the street or to an approved drainage easement. This can be accomplished by using a flexible hose.

To dispose of your old tires, anti-freeze, batteries and oil, contact your local auto parts store for more details.

If your old paint is water-based: place in a dry area, remove the lid, and let it dry. Leave the lid off so that the local trash service can see that it is dried up. If your old paint is oil-based: mix with oil absorb or kitty litter, to make a thick paste. Leave the lid off so that the local trash service can see that it is mixed well. Hazardous materials vouchers can also be used to dispose of paint.

Hazardous waste vouchers can be picked up at Customer Service in Building B. Please call 817-952-2112.

What is the difference between HOA regulations and City regulations, and which regulations control? View Information | Hide Information

The difference between HOA regulations (set forth in deed restrictions and covenants) and City regulations (set forth in the City s Code of Ordinances) can be a matter of the particular content of the regulation, a matter of enforcement of the particular regulation, or both. The general rule is that both sets of regulations are applicable to the property. Enforcement of HOA regulations is performed by the appropriate HOA committee or board, as specified in the deed restrictions and covenants, and is a civil matter between the property owner and HOA. Enforcement of City regulations is performed by City staff, and can involve penalties through municipal court proceedings.

Please call our office for questions regarding permit and inspection information. Technical questions will be directed to the appropriate staff member. If a call is transferred to a staff member that is unable to answer, please leave a message with return call information. Our staff will return your call as soon as possible.

Permit Tech. 817-952-2134
Development Secretary. 817-952-2125
Fax. 817-952-2210
Code Enforcement Hotline. 817-952-2640

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *